Bandanas are a very popular accessory to dress your dog with and this one slips on and off your dogs collar for easy dressing, maintenance, and no risk of choking your dog. This video will help you learn how to sew a store bought bandana to fit your dog no matter how big or small your favorite pooch is. This is an easy project that requires basic sewing skills and is great for any beginner. And, it is machine washable for easy cleaning and maintenance. I hope you enjoy this video and are inspired to make a bandana for your dog, too!
1 Sewing Needle (If sewing by hand)
1 Sewing Machine
Iron & Ironing Mat/Board
Embellishing items such as fabric paint, embroidery supplies, buttons, etc.
1. Fold bandana in half diagonally so the bandana is a triangle with the corners matching.
2. Lay collar on bandana and position so the corners of the collar touch the ends of the bandana.
3. Cut the bandana above the collar so the triangle is sized to fit your dogs neck.
4. With wrong sides together, straight stich the two cut triangles together to form a square. Clip tails and threads.
5. Iron seam flat and fold square back into a triangle with right sides showing on the outside.
6. Placing collar on triangle determine how much to fold over to make a pocket for the collar to slide in and out easily. You can measure the width of the collar and add on 1/4 inch seam allowance.
7. Once folded, stitch along bottom edge of fold with a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
8. Tuck in triangle pieces in the pocket for the collar and tack in place with needle and thread being sure not to sew shut the opening. Or you may tuck in the pieces and leave in place. (I found just tucking in the pieces was fine for me when I slid the collar in and out.)
9. Embellish your bandana as desired.
10. Slip collar into the bandana and buckle around dog's neck to wear.
Have fun with your project and thanks for watching!